Marijuana is also known as Cannabis. It’s variety include Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica Cannabis ruderalis, etc. It has originated from Central Asia and Indian subcontinent. It has both positive and negative effects. It is used for medical, spiritual and recreational purposes. It’s consumption is illegal in most of the countries of the world. Some countries like Canada, South Africa, Some states of United States, etc have legalized the use of marijuana. In this article we are going to learn about the health benefits of marijuana along with it’s possible side effects.
It is an illegal drug which is consumed by millions of people. It is popular among the adults. The highest consumption of marijuana was done by the adults of Zambia, the United States, Canada and Nigeria. Marijuana has been in use from ancient time and from the 20th century legal restrictions has been implied on use of it. Medical cannabis means the amount of marijuana recommended by the doctor which is used in many countries like Belgium, Canada. Countries like Afghanistan, Canada, China, Colombia, Mexico, India, Jamaica, etc are its main producers.
Common names of Marijuana in the world
Weed, Pot, Herb, Bud, Ganja, Dope, Spliff, Grass, 420, Chronic, Mary Jane, Gangster, Boom, Skunk. It has more than 200 street names.
Marijuana is the most abused drug in the world. Marijuna is a green, Brown or gray colored mixture of dried leaves, stems, seeds and flowers of the hemp plant. It has various forms.
Resinous form- Hash/Hashish
Liquid form- Hash oil
One of the main component found in Marijuana is Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, which is the psychoactive component. Dried leaves and infloresence has the highest amount of THC. This THC is responsible for the high that the user experiences. Marijuana can be smoked or eaten. When smoked the effect is within minutes while oral consumption takes 30 to 50 minutes to create effects. THC acts on cannabinoid receptors in the brain which starts to series of cellular reactions leading to euphoria. These receptors are found in hippocampus, cerebellum, basal ganglia and cerebral cortex of the brain. Which then interferes with the memory, concentration, coordination of the body. It contains 463 compounds among which THC, Cannabidiol, Cannabinol, and B-caryophyllene are of major importance.
Side Effects of Marijuana
- Heart beat increases
- Blood pressure gets lowered
- Relaxed muscles
- Slower digestion
- Dizzy feeling
- Hallucinations of sight, sound, time and touch
- reduced thinking, memory and problem solving ability
- Loss of coordination
- Anxiety and confusions
- Increased Hunger
- Dried Mouth and Red eyes
- Reduced reflex
Note: THC in Marijuana is strongly absorbed by fatty tissues
Let’s start our Epic Top 5 Countdown of Health Benefits of Marijuana Consumption:
5. Used in treatment of Cancer
One of the important health benefits of marijuana consumption is it’s compound are beneficial for treating cancer. According to National Cancer Institute in 2017 Delta-9-THC and CBD are useful in treating various type of cancers.
- Cannabinoids such as dronabinol and nabilone found in marijuana is used in chemotherapy for controlling nausea and vomiting.
- Oral cannabidiol CBD has been effective in treating recurring solid tumors.
- THC and CBD along with temozolomide has been useful in treating brain cancer.
- CBD is useful in treating acute graft versus host disease in patients who had stem cell transplantation.
4. Increases Appetite
Marijuana when consumed by mouth helps to stimulate the appetite in a person linked with presence of compound dronabinol. In a health trial among AIDS patients the deelta-9 THC helped the patients by increasing the appetite and reducing the weight loss which is common in AIDS patients.
3. Decreases Nausea and Vomiting
Cannabinoid receptors abundantly found in hippocampus, cerebrum and cerebellum of the brain are responsible for controlling the nausea and vomiting. Dronabinol and Nabilone compound are used in the chemotherapy to control nausea and vomiting
2. Reduces Nerve Pain
Marijuana is an effective solution for nerve pain. Some findings are
- Vaporized Cannabis when taken with morphine helped to reduce the nerve pain more effectively than when morphine taken alone.
- Oral delta-9-THC has been shown to provide a good relief from the pain
- According to a study from the Annals of Internal Medicine in August 2017, it has been shown to be effective in neuropathy for HIV patients.
- Cannabinoid applied as spray under the tongue was found out to be effective for advanced cancer pain
1. Helps with Glaucoma and Seizures
Another important health benefits of Marijuana consumption is its role on helping with Glaucoma and Seizures. It is helpful in treating the Glaucoma where it acts by lowering the intraocular pressure (IOP). The effect is short lived for few hours only which makes it less desirable while treating the glaucoma.
Cannabidiol derived from marijuana when consumed orally helps to reduce the incidence of seizures.
- Pregnant women should not consume marijuana as it is correlated to have negative effect on fetus.
- People with heart conditions should stay away from it as it fastens the heartbeat by 2 to 4 folds.
You might also like Top 5 Health Benefits of Buffalo Milk Consumption!